It's NATIONAL DONUT DAY!
I don't need an excuse to eat donuts, but if I did, this would be a GREAT one. It's National DONUT DAY! Sure, we could pick up donuts but this is a fun one to do at home. To celebrate, I brought my kids into the kitchen to help make these simple and yummy donuts - in their LITTLE SIDEKICK LEARNING TOWERS of course!
What do you need? Not much:
- Deep fryer with Canola or Vegetable oil heated to 350°F
- One can of refrigerated biscuits, we used country biscuits by Pillsbury.
- A circle cutter to cut those delicious donut holes. A 2L pop lid would work great too!
Your choice of topping ingredients:
Vanilla Glaze Topping - 1 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and ~ 2 tbsp of milk
Cinnamon/Sugar - 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tbsp of cinnamon mixed together. Best applied when the donuts are still warm. Shake them in a paper bag!
Chocolate Glaze - 1 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and 2-3 tbsp of milk mixed until smooth.
Powder Sugar - 1 cup of powdered sugar in a paper bag and toss when donuts are cooler (so the sugar doesn't melt).
What do you do? Not much (that's why I love this recipe!):
1. Set up your Little Sidekicks and get your lovely helper(s) to wash up their hands.
2. Gather all your ingredients and heat the deep fryer.
TIP: Make sure to set the deep fryer out of your child's reach. They do like to watch!
3. POP open that can of biscuits. Isn't that fun? Separate the biscuits. We had a can of ten.
4. Make your donut holes! We used a small star cutter, so they were pretty when we cut them out.
5. Prepare your desired topping before frying so it is ready. I like to split the ingredients in half to give each of my kids a chance to scoop and pour measure.
6. Fry your donuts (and don't forget the holes!) for about 1 minute per side or until golden brown. DO NUT (I had too!) crowd the fryer.
7. Apply your topping.
8. Eat your delicious donuts!
9. Get asked over and over to make them again because they are so good and you had so much fun!
FOR YOUR CHANCE TO WIN A DONUT LACEABLE, TRACEABLE, PAINTABLES:
What is your favorite donut flavor?
Be sure to answer on the original post to be entered. Share and/or tag more friends for additional entries! Valid for Canada and USA.